Thursday, September 1, 2011

Farm Boy Breakfast Sandwich....


The engines are rived up, the dust is a flying, and the FB's are going in a million different directions. Yep, it is that time of year again, harvest has officially started here at the farmstead!


So to commemorate this yearly experience, Baby D and I took it upon ourselves to make the FB's some breakfast this morning. Here is my version of a "Cowboy Breakfast Sandwich".

6 eggs (depending on how many sandwiches you need, one egg per)
6 sausage patties (I used these fully cooked patties, makes my life easier, I like easy)
6 slices of cheddar cheese
6 slices of bread (some FB's prefer the Texas Toast approach)
3 croissants ( while others could not live without more of a flaky texture a croissant has to offer)
1 cup jarred jalapenos (optional)
*lots of butter*

The best approach that I have found is to make an assembly line of sorts (yes one person can make 6 sandwiches in under 15 minutes, if carried out effectively) I begin by heating my skillet (cast iron works the best) for my sausage patties, you really do not need to oil it, as the sausage releases enough yummy drippings to justify. Place sausage in skillet, cooking approximately 3 minutes per side our until desired temperature is reached. Spray another smaller skillet with cooking spray and heat for your eggs. Once eggs are in the pan, I break the yolk to distribute equal amounts of yolk per white of the egg, then sprinkle with salt and pepper flip egg when edges begin to lift up from the sides (cook one egg at a time, place it on a plate and cover with paper towel until ready for use). While everything is cooking, I slice my croissants and place them into the toaster to crisp up. Then I begin to slice my jalapenos and tar my tin foil for distribution purposes.

When the sausage patties are done, I lay them out on a piece of paper towel, to get the excess grease off of them. Then I put a tablespoon, or two of butter into the same skillet that I used to cook my sausage (I want those yummy drippings to seep into my Texas toast), place your bread into the skillet. Now you will have to watch the bread carefully, you mus tent burn it, just keep adding butter. Once the bread is all cooked. It is time to get sassy with your jalapenos. In the same skillet that you have cooked everything in thus far (except eggs), throw in a tablespoon or two of butter, then fry up your jalapeno heat.

Once everything is cooked, line it up along your counter. Beginning with your bread, sausage, eggs, jalapenos and cheese. I toss in the microwave for 15 seconds just let everything melt together. Wrap with tinfoil, but be sure to label each sandwich as per ingredients. SECJ TT or Sausage, Egg, Cheese, Jalapeno on Texas Toast.


And if your really lucky, you will have a little helper distribute those sandwiches for you.


My apologies for not having a picture of the actually Breakfast Sandwich, but I was on a tight deadline. If you click on the link below you will get to see the picture of the end result.

For more information regarding the original recipe please click HERE.

Enjoy,
Farming Fabulously

No comments: